Monday, December 13, 2010

Almost but Not Quite

After a couple of weeks of struggling for work I’ve found a new part-time job – it’s non-journalism related but is a huge relief on my wallet! And now suddenly, I’m also getting more reporting shifts!
I was scheduled to hop on to a bus tomorrow at 6am with some of the Earl Jones Ponzi scheme victims, most of whom are seniors. They’re rallying in front of the Royal Bank headquarters in downtown Toronto (where they’ll meet with 20 other Toronto-based victims) and are hoping to meet with RBC CEO Gordon Nixon. They filed a $40-million class action lawsuit against the bank for ‘negligence’ five months ago. They claim many of their cheques which Jones cashed in were with forged signatures or sometimes, no signature at all.
The case could go on for years but the group wants RBC to cooperate swiftly so things are resolved sooner than later. Three of the seniors involved in the ordeal have passed away since...  
There's been some scheduling issues at the newsroom and now my opportunity to cover the story is a bust. Despite the over five-hour long commute to Toronto and back, and expected freezing weather, I was looking forward to covering the story.
It’s all good. I’ll get to cover other interesting stories this month. So long as they’re not funerals – I covered three last month!

No comments:

Post a Comment